David C., Yuma, AZ
BENEFITS OF REGULAR DENTAL EXAMS AND TEETH CLEANINGS
Maintaining a Regular Dental Exam and Teeth Cleaning schedule provides you with many benefits to your Oral Health, including:
- Prevent Tooth Decay
- Prevent Plaque and Tartar Build Up
- Prevent Chronic Bad Breath (Halitosis)
- Prevent Tooth Staining
- Prevent Receding Gums (Gingivitis / Periodontitis)
- Screening for Oral Cancer
WHAT TO EXPECT AT A ROUTINE DENTAL EXAM AND TOOTH CLEANING APPOINTMENT
Your routine dental exam and teeth cleaning appointment can vary depending on your dental history. If you are coming in to our dentist office for your first appointment, our office staff will start by gathering important patient information such as your dental insurance and health care history. This will include learning about previous health issues, dental procedures, medications you currently take and other vital information.
After reviewing the x-rays, Dr. McDonald or a experience dental staff member will begin your dental exam. During this exam the following evaluations and examination will be made:
- Evaluation of all tooth surfaces – Teeth are checked for signs of decay or cavities and plaque or tartar buildup. The dentist will also check for signs of teeth grinding and stress for clenching your jaw.
- Exam of any existing Dental Restorations – Review of any current fillings, dental crowns, caps, and bridges.
- Gum Disease Evaluation – The gums and jawbone levels around the teeth are checked for signs Periodontal Disease like Gingivitis.
- Screening for Oral Cancer – Exam of your face, lips, tongue, tissues and gums for and potential warning signs of Oral Cancer.
Following your exam, a member of our friendly dental staff will review the results of your oral health with you. He will discuss any potential treatment plans if he finds any potential health risks. This is also your opportunity to ask your dentist any questions about your exam or recommended treatment options.
- Use special dental instruments like ultrasonic scalers or hand instruments to remove tarter, also referred to as calculus, and plaque from your teeth. Plaque is a sticky film made from living bacteria, food debris and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins that can cause the gums to become inflamed and infected. Gum inflammation can signal the start of periodontal disease. Tartar is a form of plaque that has hardened on the tooth surface. Tartar can form above and above the gum line.
- Your RDA will then use a special dental instrument to polish the teeth. Polishing the teeth helps to remove stains and plaque that regular toothbrushing cannot.
- Depending on your age and dental history, a fluoride treatment may be applied to your teeth to help strengthen them from within to help prevent tooth decay.
FLUORIDE & SEALANTS
Do your children like candy? Tooth decay can present a problem for children as well as adults. You can prevent significant tooth decay between exams by having a sealant applied. This sealant is a thin film painted over the grooves in your tooth to protect and extend the life of your tooth. It can last up to 10 years. Over time, the roots of older teeth over time become exposed, making them susceptible to tooth decay. Effectively fight against the decay and decline of your teeth with fluoride.
Restore your confidence and end bad breath for good! Schedule an appointment today!
ORAL CANCER SCREENINGS PROTECT YOUR HEALTH
Oral Cancer Screenings are one of the best defenses your dentist can provide to protect your health and wellness. Symptoms may not be obvious in its initial stages, allowing the disease to spread to other parts of your body before noticing a lump or sore in your mouth. Regular screenings performed during your dental visits can aid in early detection, greatly improving your chances of successful treatment and survival.
Protect your health by scheduling a Dental Exam and Oral Cancer Screening today!
Looking for a Dentist for the Whole Family?
Harvest Dentist is your Top-Rated Dentist Office for Professional Dental Cleaning and Oral Health and Wellness!
Call Our Office Today!